Tonight's finale was everything it should have been. Really. It was EPIC. I thought about nitpicking the realism of some things (labor, adoption timelines, etc) but then I realized I DON'T CARE. This is Glee! They live in their own Glee universe where things just ARE this way!
1. QUINN! Yes. YES. With the most sob-worthy of any of the storylines, Quinn recalls her fall from grace (oh, wine coolers and Santana and Brittany's sloppy thirds...) and then has her post-Regionals high destroyed by her johnny-come-lately mother and going into labor. As dramatic as it all was, Quinn's reactions were just so awesome. Yes, she has serious issues with her mother showing up suddenly and wanting to raise her baby, but she needs her mom so badly (of course she does! she's sixteen!) that she can't tell her to screw off. And her being so angry and terrified in the labor scene was fabulous, and I love love love that she got to hold the baby. And I kind of love her rather cold reaction to the baby afterwards -- I read a bunch of comments of people saying Quinn is totally awful and horrible for not changing her mind about placing her baby for adoption, especially after her mom showed up, but... again, she's sixteen, and this was her choice all along, and her distancing herself from it and not being willing to question her decision at this point all seems really honest, actually.
2a. The Horrible Mom Club. Honestly, WTF, Mrs. Fabray. She made NO effort to keep in touch with Quinn or support her financially or emotionally this whole time, and to show up now and say "Your father is a cheating douchebag, so I really want to play house with you now!" just made me mad (and, asking if she missed a lot of performances instead of, oh, I just missed two trimesters and you've been HOMELESS... what planet does this woman live on?). Quinn is a stronger woman than her mother by far, it seems, and while I'm happy for Quinn that she gets her reunion and that she had her mom's support during labor... seriously. This had better not turn into Quinn emotionally supporting her mom post-divorce while quietly suppressing all the righteous rage and abandonment she feels. GEEZ.
2b. SHELBY. Shelby shuns Rachel again for not being a baby anymore, and all of that would make me just feel like Shelby's a bitch (look - birthmothers are allowed to feel however they want about their children at their therapists' office, but when you orchestrate a scheme to set up your child's first love and spectacularly break her heart just to tell her you don't want any contact with her after all, you're a bitch). Except. EXCEPT. Then, Shelby walks away with Quinn's baby. This is not at all how this should have shaken out. I realize people move fast on Glee, but it's been what -- a month? two? since Shelby met Rachel, and since then she's considered probably quitting coaching Glee Club and maybe getting a dog or a decent place to live. This woman is in no way prepared to SUDDENLY have an infant, and honestly, since she's in the Horrible Mom Club, I'd rather she just let Beth go
3. Music! :) After that rant, let me just say - music, ILU. Jesse St. James is really carrying Vocal Adrenaline, isn't he? Oh well, once he graduates, our kids can toast them next year. And all of our kids' songs were great. :) I loved seeing them singing to the cheering crowd.
4. HEARTBREAK! Oh god. I loved that our kids came in last. I loved it. I was actually hoping for it a bit before the episode started, because our little losingest team is best as the underdogs, and the show has 3 seasons to get through, and because their little hearts crushed so dramatically tragically. But they were so GOOD! Then I wanted them to win! OH I LOVE THEM. You'll do better next year!! And they were fabulous. They really were great. And Sue defended
5. EVERYBODY CRYING ALL THE TIME. I always cry when someone wells up on TV. I can't help it. I used to be a mess at those long-distance calling card commercials. Tina started us off at the beginning of the episode and it just didn't stop until even Santana was in tears.
6. EVERYBODY IS BFFs!! Aaaaa I love it. Matt even got a line (when do we get Matt's coming-out episode? I'm just asking. Because. I don't know. The earring, I think). Santana hated everyone, but now maybe she doesn't, and then she pinky-hugs Brittany. Quinn and Mercedes are friends for life, yo, and Kurt's really not too into someone else horning in on Mercedes' #1 speed-dial spot, so he glomps them both. ARTIE/TINA 4 EVA. Kevin McHale called them "the new Cory and Topanga" and ever since then I can't stop squeeeing.
7. Finn/Rachel awwwwww.
8. One! More! Year! I kind of wondered if we were going to have a guerilla Glee club next season, rehearsing in parking lots and April's roller rink, storming Sectionals and demanding a performance slot. I know exactly what I *do* want next year: Quinn, with an EPIC VENDETTA against Sue Sylvester. Quinn is best when she's cutthroat and bitchy, and girlfriend deserves to get out of her endless depression, but I would be sad if she takes a step back and just tries to reclaim her Cheerios fame. My Quinn has loftier goals, and she doesn't forget that Sue outed her pregnancy in a deeply cruel way and kicked her while she was down. And since Will owes Sue for the Glee Club's continued presence, somebody in New Directions needs to be gunning for Sue. *grin* Plus, Quinn needs a new storyline to chew on to keep Santana from stealing all her screen time.
9. Puck. He's totally horrified by Quinn giving birth. He comes around in a wonderful way to be truly awed by his babymama, and he loves her in his own way, and it's sweet. He cares about the baby (and I'm glad Quinn asks him if he wants to keep her, and I'm still glad they decided against it
10. Angry Emma is adorable. ADORABLE. And her dentist boyfriend is John Stamos, so I kind of hope they don't break up too soon.
BRING ON NEXT SEASON!!