My feelings as I watched kind of went like this:
1. Shut up, Piper.
2. OMG NATASHA LYONNE FROM BUT I'M A CHEERLEADER!!!
3. Man, Jason Biggs will just always be a caricature of his own teenage acting roles, eh?
4. CAPTAIN REDWAY OMG.
5. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG COMPLEX INTERESTING WOMEN OF COLOR & UNDERPRIVILEGED WOMEN & TRANS & REAL PRISON PIPELINE ISSUES AND OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. Nnnnnng Piper's White Privilege please be quiet.
7. Sophia's Family feeeeels.
8. DAYA'S MOM OMG. ALSO TAYSTEE. ALSO POUSSEY. ALSO EVERYBODY.
9. Every scene with Red & Nicky is PERFECTION OH GOD.
10. TAYSTEEEE :) :) :( :(
11. I can't cope with what happens with Trish like not even a little bit.
12. No no no NO NO NO LEAVE MORELLO ALONE OMG OMG OMG okay.
13. Shut up, Piper!
14. YOU TOO, LARRY.
15. THAT WHEELCHAIR GIRL... that'll do, Piper, you done good.
16. Okay somebody give Pennsatucky an Emmy or something because she is ridic.
Basically! I get that Piper (and Larry's) white/wealth/pretty/pass-for-straight privilege is critical to this story, but I would honestly like her so much more if she were a secondary character. I think I would love her as a secondary character instead of want her to just shut up. The focus being on her kind of makes every episode a Very Special Episode where Piper learns the true meaning of Christmas, you know?