My great-aunt is getting moved to a nursing home under great drama and kafuffle, so my mother had to go to Toronto this morning. There's a very good chance she won't be back until after Christmas. My dad is going to spend the week of Christmas staying at Kripalu.
My family Christmas has been cancelled, and I will be all by myself at home the week of Christmas.
So... I'm disappointed. I made a very bit point of not only not making a scene but being very happy and accomodating and encouraging of all this, because the last thing my mother needs is to feel pulled in yet another direction and I'm too old to ruin my dad's plans just because I want attention. But Christmas Eve is my favourite family night of the year -- we have all these lights and candles, and go to church together sometimes, and bake cookies and watch the Muppet Christmas Carol and huddle around the piano singing christmas carols like we live on a greeting card. I also hate being home alone at night on *regular* days.
So I'm disappointed. I haven't yet figured out how to make the best of this. I realize it's not that big of a deal -- and while I really really hate being told "buck up! it could be worse!", you should feel free to think that in your head. It's just... it's Christmas! It's only once a year, and I was looking forward to it, so it's a drag. I'm using the "this is my journal and I am WHINING in it" perogative.
But there is always gleee.
5 good things about today:
1. Watched good DS9 episodes with Gira ("Accession" and "Shattered Mirror", for nenya_kanadka who will wonder).
2. Ran into Bina over at Kripalu, and she told me that she likes DS9 better than Voyager now. I feel evil and victorious. We also made tentative plans to watch Voyager eps that I've missed during Christmas week.
3. Got email from Anjani with request to hang out -- yay! I will get gossip on her new job plans.
4. Was in one room with mystic_isles000, rpgmaniac666 and alosersdream, and the universe did not implode from our Kripalu-Kid-iness.
5. Evening with Dad at Country Buffet and Barnes & Noble.
3 things I did well:
1. Agreed to work at 7 a.m. on Christmas Eve as favor to Sara, and made plans to get trained for that tomorrow.
2. Did some Christmas shopping.
3. Worked a bit on a fic that had been WiP-y for a while... I *can* pick up things I've put down before!
-- Little Red, who is also still happy about her cute little tree, and thinks I should try and get a star for it.